Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"Parks and Recreation" Episode Review: Ron and Tammys

Please be aware that there are SPOILERS in the following review.

This episode mainly deals with the fallout of Ron getting together with another one of his ex-wives: Tammy I. It also features an appearance by Ron's mother... who is named Tammy as well. In other parts of Pawnee, Anne and Chris film a PSA for diabetes and Ben tries to help Tom and Jean-Ralfio's business stay afloat.

I liked this episode. It wasn't as great as the other Ron and Tammy episodes, but there were some laughs to be had. Any time Leslie gets drunk means we are in for some big laughs. I will say this, however: the formula for these episodes is starting to get stale. It's like they are filling out a mad lib: "Ron's ex-wife Tammy ______ comes back into his life and starts dating him again. He starts to act _________ to the his own detriment, and Leslie steps in to try and save him from himself. In the end, he realizes that he hates Tammy _____ and _____________." Don't get me wrong, it hasn't gotten old yet. I just fear that it is going to get old soon. It was hilarious to see how this particular Tammy effected Ron. Tammy II turns Ron into a sex-crazed maniac, but Tammy I turns him into a 'cool-beans' kinda dude - complete with a shaved mustache. I personally prefer Tammy II and how Ron reacts to her, but that is just me. I think they set the bar too high with the second Tammy, so the first one didn't really deliver - even though she is supposedly worse. I just didn't get that. It was great to see Ron's mom, especially her response to Leslie's reaction to how many guns she had: "This is America, right?"

The other plot lines took a back seat to the main one this week. It was nice to see Chris and Anne working together on something, but I just didn't really see the point. Are they getting back together or aren't they?!? Just make up your minds, people. It's like they spent the entire episode showing Anne why it was good that she wasn't with Chris, only to then show her what a great guy he really is. I will say this, however - they have done a fantastic job not making Chris obnoxious. He is one of those characters who could easily become annoying, but he consistently makes me laugh. I really like Ben and Tom together, but I wonder where they are going with the whole Entertainment 720 plot. I'd love to see it become a success, but Tom needs to be back at the Parks department! I am interested to see how this plays out.

Overall, this was a good episode. It is just starting to feel a little redundant. I want to see more of Leslie's Mayoral race! Bring it on!

Total score: 7.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment