Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Up All Night" Pilot Review

There are several new shows this fall season that I am interested in, but the one that I am the most excited about is "Up All Night." Why am I so excited about this show? It's simple really - the cast. I am a huge fan of all three of the main actors, from Christina Applegate ("Anchorman") to Will Arnett ("Arrested Development," "30 Rock") to Maya Rudolph ("Bridesmaids," "SNL") - they are all hilarious. And they are the one thing that makes me want to give this show another chance.

"Up All Night" tells the story of a married couple dealing with their first child. Bucking tradition, Chris (Arnett) decides to quit his job as a lawyer and stay at home with daughter Amy so that Reagan (Applegate) can go back to work for her crazy tv talk show host boss, Ava (Rudolph). Sure, there were some laughs to be had, but the entire pilot felt a little tired. I know that it was just the first episode and they are trying to figure out what kind of show they are, but the bar has been set with the phenomenal pilot episode of a little show called "Modern Family." To me, the pilot episode of that show is the episode that all pilot episodes will be judged by, and, unfortunately this one missed the mark by a long shot.

That's not to say that I am not going to give this show another chance. Again, Applegate and Arnett have great chemistry and both are hilarious, so I am interested to see where this show takes them. And I hope that Arnett can finally have the hit show that he deserves. I also am interested to see what they do with Ava's talk show. Should "Up All Night" prove to be a hit, I could see Ava's talk show to function as a vehicle for hilarious guest starts to visit. So I am hopeful that enough people tune in so that we can really see what this show can do. If you missed it on tv, you can download the pilot for free from the iTunes store. That's what I did.

Score: 5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment