Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Community" Episode Review: Biology 101

Please be aware that there are a lot of spoilers in the following review.

I am a huge fan of "Community." I think it is quirky, weird, and just plain hilarious. Needless to say, I was very excited for this new season to start. Unfortunately, I wasn't that impressed with the episode. At the end of last season, Pierce (Chevy Chase) decided that he wasn't going to be in the group anymore, but five minutes into the season premier he is back. I found that kind of sloppy. I did like, though, that Jeff (Joel McHale) got kicked out of biology class, allowing Pierce to join it, so now, technically, Jeff is out of the group. I thought that was a nice little reversal.

Abed's (Daniel Pudi) plot line was pretty funny - he was upset and verging on a mental breakdown because "Cougar Town" was moved to midseason, so he had nothing to watch. Britta (Gillian Jacobs) trying to find him new shows, like the British original that "Cougar Town" was based off of, "Cougarton Alley," - was pretty funny. And, on a side note, I was watching "Cougar Town's" season premier and the gang are sitting at a restaurant patio talking, and in the background is Abed watching intently, like he is watching a TV show. It was hilarious and just the sort of thing that "Community" would do, but I thought it was so cool that they were able to work that out, with one show being on NBC and the other being on ABC. Pretty cool.

I like that Troy (Donald Glover) and Abed are finally living together, and I thought it was hilarious that when they announced it everyone thought they were announcing that they were gay. The two new additions to the cast (John Goodman and Michael K. Williams) were good and I am interested to see how they pan out for the rest of the season.

Overall, the episode was fine and it definitely set the stage for what seems like a very interesting season, but that is about it. It doesn't stand on it's own legs, it just sort of serves as a precursor of what is to come. That's not a bad thing, it was just a little bit of a disappointment. That being said, I am very excited to tune in next week and see how all of the set-ups that happened in this episode pan out.

Overall score: 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment