Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Parks and Recreation" Episode Review: I'm Leslie Knope

Please be aware that there are several spoilers in the following review.

"Parks and Rec" is a show that, quite frankly, amazes me. When the show was being created, it was going to be a spin off of "The Office" - just a different branch of Dunder-Mifflin headed up by another dim-witted but lovable manager. That idea was quickly turned into a brand new concept, which then became "Parks and Recreation." And it is incredible to me that this show feels so different and so much more fresh than "The Office" usually does. And it genuinely makes me laugh more than any of the other sitcoms I watch.

There was a lot that had to happen in this episode, and it delivered. It picked up just minutes after the past season ended, with Leslie deciding that she is going to run for office and Ron freaking out because his first ex-wife, Tammy I, was in the building. I love the lengths that Ron went to to safe guard himself from her, including hiding a survival back pack in the ceiling vents. Tom no longer works for the Parks department but definitely has enough swag for his new company - I just have to wonder if his new company actually does anything. The plot line with Anne constantly getting texted images of men's penises was hilarious and was quite frankly the best part of the episode. But the main meat of the episode was Leslie trying to decide if she was going to run for office or stay with her boss, Ben.

I like Leslie and Ben a lot, but I really want to see Leslie succeed. I would love for this show to follow her all the way to the white house, but I doubt that would happen. So I was glad when Leslie chose to run over staying with Ben, but I am sad to see them break up. I doubt that's the last we will see of their relationship, as I am sure that once Ben leaves Pawnee, they can then be together again. And I want Leslie to have success in both her love life and her career. But more her career.

Final score: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment