Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Modern Family" Episode Review: Dude Ranch and When Good Kids Go Bad

Please be aware that there are several spoilers in the following review.

This past Wednesday saw not one but two new episodes of the wildly successful "Modern Family." A quick note about "Modern Family" - this is the show that I judge all other pilot episodes of sitcoms with. The pilot episode of this show was genius and quite frankly the best I have ever seen, and it set the bar high for the series. I don't think any of the episodes have truly been as hilarious as the pilot episode was, but several have gotten close. Neither of the two new episodes were one of the ones that got close.

Both episodes were fine and were filled with laughs (my favorite being the family's reaction when Claire shows the security camera footage to prove that she was right about Phil pushing her at the grocery store), but they weren't the best of the series. I like all the plot lines that were set up for the season, including Cam and Mitch deciding to adopt a baby boy. And Gloria was hysterical as usual. But what was the deal with Lilly?!? I knew they were recasting her, but she is walking around and talking now! She aged three years in three months! And no one acknowledged it - they just kept on going like it was normal. I think this is going to be a huge plot line this season - who this Lilly impostor is and who she works for and why she is infiltrating this innocent family.

I liked the second episode more than the first one, but neither one really stands out to me as spectacular. Oh well... I'm sure they'll knock it out of the park next week.

Final score for Dude Ranch: 6.0 out of 10
Final score for When Good Kinds Go Bad: 7.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment